In 1954 Presbyterian Hockey Club was formed to participate in the Australian Capital Territory Hockey Association competitions, as a social activity. The inaugural meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Forrest.
Doug Hill, a member of a hockey playing family in Canberra, was elected Foundation President and Ian Mitchell, an employee in Taxation Department, was Foundation Secretary. Ian transferred to Canberra from Brisbane, later leaving to become a minister in the Presbyterian Church. Teams were entered in Men’s competition and were formed as a social activity of the Fellowship group.
The club uniform was a butcher boy blue cesarine shirt, with a white collar, facing on pocket, sleeves and front of shirt. The cross of St. Andrew’s was on the back of the shirt and pocket in white. The shirts were awkward to make as many mothers of junior players discovered. White shorts with royal blue socks and white tops finished off the outfit.
The current United Hockey Club was reconstituted from Presbyterian Hockey club to commence in the 1964 hockey season and habe been playing active ever since.